December 23, 2010

Momma's got money ...

Life has been a little crazy around our house lately. The majority of our craziness can be blamed on ………….. MOMMY HAS A JOB!! After spending the last 4 years being a stay at home mom I decide to step back into the working world. I started my job adventure in early October after doing some online research of “Great Companies” to work for. REI … Recreational Equipment Inc. was listed as 14th on the “2010 Fortune 500 best companies to work for”. Well it just so happened they were hiring so I updated my resume (my resume was only 10 years outdated) … filed out the online application and hit submit. Seriously I had NO IDEA what I was in for.

The phone call came. They wanted me to come in for a group interview. My idea of a group interview was me and a few managers. Ummmmmmm … was I surprised when I walked into a room of 18 other people applying for the same job as me. It really was a group interview! I have NEVER been more intimidated. For 2 hours I role played, brainstormed and mingled with 18 others that wanted the same job. I walked away from my interview with this …

OVER 850 applications were submitted
Which was narrowed down to 51 people
They were doing 3 sessions of group interviews in which
Fort Collins REI would be hiring 16 seasonal employees
they would call either way by the end of the month

Sheeeeeeesh … the good news was I made the first cut. But by no means was I holding my hopes up. Life went on …….. then on October 26th I received the call that changed everything. REI offered me a seasonal job I was one of the top 16.

It has been almost 2 months and I KNOW WHY … REI is one of the top companies to work for! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my job! I would have NEVER guessed having a job would be this much fun. ………… right now my job stands as seasonal but I have been told that there is a chance they might keep a few of us “newbie’s” on after the holidays. This time I am holding my hopes up! I will be super sad if my REI adventure comes to an end … for now I just feel blessed that I have been given this opportunity to work for an amazing company with some of the most incredible inspiring individuals in Fort Collins! I am blessed ~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what was the group interview like?