October 7, 2008

A Very Lucky Boy ...

Most of you know that 2 years ago a very special boy entered our lives. My nephew Caleb … born with Down Syndrome. Over the past 2 years I have learned so much about the misconceptions and alarming statistics associated with Down Syndrome.

Did you know … October is National Down Syndrome awareness month? Many bloggers are participating in what is called “31 for 21”. Since this month is super busy for me I’m unable to commit myself to blogging for 31 days straight. But I promise to share with you 31 stories/photos/tidbits related to Down Syndrome over the month of October.

This past weekend my sister Lori and her family participated in “The Buddy Walk” in Sioux Falls, SD. I want to share a story Lori told me…



One of the “big wigs” involved with the Buddy Walk was admiring Caleb’s shirt and asked Lori how old her son was. Caleb was quick to answer with “2” fingers held up and said, “TWO”. Lori was proud as a peacock as the women was taken back by how well Caleb talked and how incredibly smart he is for a 2 year old child with special needs. Lori beamed with pride as she held back the desire to say “he’s not just 2 he is only 27 months”.

God has entrusted Lori with an amazing gift, Caleb. Lori has embraced Caleb and the challenges of raising a child with special needs with all her heart. Caleb’s development in all areas far surpasses the average for most children with Down Syndrome. It is because of Lori’s strong determination and constant strive to provide Caleb every opportunity for growth that she can find that aids in his advanced development. God makes no mistakes. Caleb’s mommy was hand picked.

No comments: