August 11, 2011

Horsetooth Falls ...

Last month the kids and I hiked Horsetooth Falls a wonderful kid friendly trail about 20 minutes from our house. We went with my friend Aliy and her 2 boys, Riley and Jayce.  Riley is one of Makenna's buddies!  When we were getting dressed for our hike Makenna said, "mom do I have a shirt that says I love Riley"? ... as you can tell she was pretty excited to hike with her buddy!
~ Makenna and Riley ... ready for our hike! ~

~ Justin was the leader for most of the trail ~
Until we ran into ...

YES – my friends that is a RATTLESNAKE!!  Thanks goodness I picked the best hiking partner EVER!! Aliy is a Park Ranger so she kept us all calm and woke the snake with a stick.  Yup that dang snake was sound asleep! … OH we had just a little excitement when he curled up in a ball and hissed at us!  But he soon realized Aliy was bigger and much more dangerous with a stick and decided to slither away.  I was super proud of myself … anyone who know me well knows that I am SCARED TO DEATH of snakes.  If I would have been alone with the kids I would have turned around and ran screaming the whole way back to our car.  But the hike went on ...

~ The reward at the end of the trail ~

~ Riley and Makenna wading in the water ~
~ Justin, Makenna and I at the falls ~

~ Aliy, Riley and Jayce at the falls ~

~ One of many educational moments with Ranger Aliy along the trail ~

I was so proud of Justin and Makenna for finishing the entire hike … 2.5 miles!  Makenna was a trooper even when she wanted to give up she keep on going!   

No comments: