October 10, 2009

Big Blue ...

I’m not even sure where to begin. It has a very long week for me. A week ago today I hurt my ankle. I wish I had a great story to go with it but for the most part it was all together STUPID!!

If you have been to our house you will understand how our property is set up. We have a street behind us that dead end right in front of our gate and a main road (Elizabeth Street) in front of our house. We often have middle of the night visitors that are too lazy to walk around the block and attempt to make a short cut thru our property. Well last Saturday night we had some visitors. You know it is brainless punk kids when they walk right past the house talking and carrying on. Little did they know the sign on the gate … “Beware of the Dog” … meant “the dog” that lives in the house and pays the mortgage!!!

All I remember is hearing voices and waking up to see Dwight dashing out of the bedroom. I instantly jumped up and was right behind him. Dwight wearing boxers, t-shirt and no shoes … flung open the front door and took off across the lawn. I on the other hand hit the 1st step and knew immediately I was wounded. What makes the story so stupid is I by no means was attempting to chase anyone down except Dwight. The only thing running through my head at the time was if he catches someone he’s going to hurt them. Dwight gave them a scare by chasing them all the way to the street but came back to find me hobbling into the house.

I never suspected my ankle was broken … I had too much mobility in it, was able to walk on it and the swelling was really minimal. After getting onto the internet I knew right away that it was my Achilles tendon. Dwight was convinced I was a wimp and it would all magically heal on its own. All I saw was dollar signs and a huge bill so I hobbled around for 5 days, had little sleep and worried myself sick that I would never walk “normal” again. Finally I decided that I needed a professional diagnosis. Honestly by the time I made my appointment I was a complete MESS!! Sleep deprived and full of fear Satan had really got a hold on me.

Wednesday morning was the moment of truth. Dr’s diagnosis … I have a Partial Achilles Rupture. The good news is it should completely heal. The bad news is … it’s not quick. 6 – 9 weeks in hard casts and then 4 – 6 weeks in a walking cast.


Makenna picked out the color of my cast … “Boo” aka blue … 3 weeks with big blue and then they will reposition my foot and recast again.

No comments: